Food and Drink Policy1>
Food and Drinks Policy
Rum Tum Tugger’s provide a diet which encourages healthy eating. All meals are prepared on site by staff holding a relevant Foundation Certificate in Food Handling. We adhere to all storage and cooking instructions found on food labels and packaging.
We ensure that:
- When freezing foods the date is written clearly on the original packaging
- Fridge and freezer temperatures are logged daily and weekly
- All foods are kept in original packaging
- Any foods found past their use by date or look/smell unusual is discarded.
- Any opened foods are kept in airtight containers and cleaned once empty
- Drinks are provided throughout the day for both children and staff
- All foods are purchased from a supermarket or Ashlyns Farm
- Meats are probed to ensure cooked throughout
- Meat temperatures are recorded
- Frozen foods are defrosted thoroughly
- Fresh and cooked meats are kept separately.
- Special dietary requirements and allergies are recorded, with each staff member having a copy.
- Each child has a personalised place mat indicating food preferences, intolerances, and allergies
- Special foods are placed on different plates to ensure they go to the correct child.
- Medicines are stored away from nursery foods
- Menus are devised to be low salt and low allergen
- Where possible, milk and vegetables are organic
- Menus are reviewed seasonally
- Food is handed about permanent members of staff
- Staff may only have plastic bottles of water in the nursery rooms
- Staff may only consume food during breaks
- No chewing gum is permitted in nursery
- Staff are asked not to eat food purchased for the children without permission
- Children’s teeth are cleaned after lunch
Reviewed May 2008