Accident Procedure Policy1>
Accident Procedure Policy
If a major accident should occur the procedure is as follows:
- At all times, staff must wear protective gloves
- If the child can be moved, take them away from the view of other children
- Inform the Approved First Aider
- The Approved First Aider will assess the situation and decide whether the child should be resuscitated, taken to the hospital or whether they can wait for the parent/carer to come to the nursery.
If the child is unconscious and not breathing or if there is no apparent pulse:
- The Approved First Aider or other suitably qualified member of staff will begin appropriate resuscitation techniques.
- Resuscitation will continue while an ambulance is called by another responsible adult.
- Resuscitation will continue while another responsible adult contacts the parents/carers.
- Resuscitation will continue until a paramedic is ready to take charge of the process
- Resuscitation will only stop if breathing starts again or when suitably qualified medical staff takes charge of the process.
If the child needs to be taken to the hospital immediately:
- The Approved First Aider will remain with the child whilst another responsible adult calls for an ambulance
- Parents/carers will be contacted and arrangements will be made to meet with them at the hospital.
- A member of the staff team will accompany the child but will not be allowed to give consent for any treatment unless loco parentis has been authorised on the child’s enrolment papers.
- The member of staff will remain with the child until the parent/carer arrives and has been fully briefed on the incident.
- A report of the accident will be recorded in the Accident Book and countersigned by the parent/carer at the earliest possible time.
- The One-Stop reporting procedure will be carried out as stated on the Health and Safety at Work poster displayed in the staff areas.
If the child can wait for a parent/carer to come to nursery:
- The child will be made comfortable and will remain in the care of a first aider.
- Parents/carers will be notified immediately
- The first aider will remain with the child until a parent/carer arrives
- The parent/carer will make a decision about the need for hospital treatment
- A report of the accident will be made in the Accident Book and counter signed by the parent/carer.
- Should a parent/carer decide on the need for hospital treatment the One-Stop reporting procedure will be carried out as stated on the Health and Safety at Work Poster displayed in the staff areas.
It should be remembered that hospitals and ambulances can be extremely frightening for any young child; therefore it is our policy to wait for a parent to come to nursery assuming that there is no immediate risk to life or welfare.
If a minor accident occurs the procedure will be as follows:
- Staff will wear protective gloves at all times
- The child should be removed from the main nursery area
- The injury should be assessed by the Approved First Aider
- The injury will be treated appropriately
- The child will be settled back into their group
- If the incident involves a bump to the head, the child’s behaviour will be observed closely for signs of concussion
- The injury will be recorded in the Accident Book will be completed and countersigned by a parent/carer at the end of the session.
Reviewed May 2008